[OpenID board] Perception of the Foundation (Was: Fwd: [OpenID] Google's proprietary discovery extension?)

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Jul 29 22:47:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Yahoo is very heavily invested in OpenID and we have a bunch of
engineers and designers currently working on enhancements to our OpenID
service.  Earlier this year, we worked with the community to write the
OpenID UI and OAuth/Hybrid Extensions, and the Yahoo OP will be
implementing both of these extensions in the very near future.

In addition to protocol enhancements, we have a crack team of UI/Product
designers and researchers who are actively experimenting with ways to
improve the overall usability of our OpenID service. We'll be deploying
many significant upgrades to the Yahoo OpenID Provider's user interface
later this year. The new OpenID UI, along with support for the UI and
Hybrid Extensions, and our soon to be released support for Open Social's
REST based APIs (including Portable Contacts) will be a huge upgrade to
our existing Open Stack offering.

We've also been working behind the scenes to line up several new and
exciting Relying Parties to accept OpenID. Every potential Relying Party
that I've been working with wants to accept not just Yahoo OpenID, but
also OpenIDs from other Providers, which is making a really strong case
for interoperability and open standards.

Yahoo along with other OPs and Relying Parties are committing plenty of
resources for OpenID  and are actively working towards the goal of
having OpenID reach widespread usage and adoption.  Many of these
efforts are behind the scenes, and aren't really visible on the public
mailing lists, so perhaps the OpenID Foundation can take the lead in
publicizing the activities that its membership is actively working on.

Allen