[OpenID board] upcoming Google announcement regarding OpenID

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 23:38:40 UTC 2009

Will Norris wrote:

> The document you mention all but actually recommends that approach:
>
>> There are two locations where the host-meta document might be found:
>>
>> (1) http://example.com/host-meta
>> (2) https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/host-meta?hd=example.com
>>
>> Google's endpoint will return a 400 on endpoint (2) if the domain
>> provided has not outsourced OpenID IdP funcionality to Google. So one
>> possible strategy for an RP could be to first try endpoint (2), and if
>> that returns a 400, try endpoint (1), and if that doesn't yield
>> anything, give up. Other strategies (fetching both endpoints in
>> parallel, for example), are possible.
>

> The idea of trying endpoint #2 first, and then failing back to #1 should
> NEVER be proposed or encouraged.  Quite the opposite, it should be
> strongly discouraged.  It's language like this that make this feel like
> a vendor-specific approach that the OpenID Foundation should have
> nothing to do with.  RPs should be instructed to ALWAYS attempt #1
> first, otherwise the domain owner is no longer in control.

This is also a pretty good argument for why "magic" paths under a domain
are bad, and is a good example of the issue I brought up months ago with
relying on HTTP for discovery: a domain's website is very often hosted
by a completely different organisation than the one that hosts
everything else.

I even used Google Apps as an example in my original blog post about
this back in October:
     http://www.apparently.me.uk/19059.html