[OpenID board] [legal] openid.net and wiki.openid.net copyright notice.

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:43:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Nat Sakimura <sakimura at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I see no problem in placing a CC license on the site and the wiki, though
>> considering many people have contributed to the wiki I doubt we can just
>> place a CC license on the existing content.  I don't see a problem in
>> placing a CC license on the site content given that we can contact the small
>> group of people who wrote it and ask for their permission.
>

> The original Wiki site had GFDL. People should have agreed to GFDL when
> they posted.
> The current one has not such provision, and that is a problem.

I've added the GFDL license to the new wiki's sidebar. We can change it
later if we need to.

We can also add a page describing the licensing terms for contributions to
the wiki. Currently it does not seem like we'll be able to add a licensing
checkbox for new members to agree to.

> As to which CC license we should pick, I would promote
>
> CC BY-SA-NC
>
> If they are publishing a book by reprinting wiki for profit, we should be
> able to collect some money to help the community. Any thought?

That seems unlikely (publishing a book of the wiki for profit). It's
conceivable, but unlikely.
I think CC BY-SA would be sufficient -- then at least whatever derivative
works are created would need to be shared under the same license.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &