[OpenID board] [legal] openid.net and wiki.openid.net copyright notice.

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 07:31:38 UTC 2009

I am impressed with xmpp license.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM, David Recordon <david at sixapart.com> wrote:

> Seems we now have overlaping threads since Nat also created one on the
> private list. :)  My reply there was:
>
> We can adapt http://xmpp.org/trademark/ to fit OpenID which is my
> recommendation and what we were planning to do last year.  Right now it
> seems to have come down to someone having the time to actually do this work.
>  Chris and I have also been doing work on http://openid.net/logos/ the
> past few days along with http://wiki.openid.net/Logo which links to a
> style guide for logo usage by the designer.

Do we have the permission from XMPP to use it as the template?
The actual lincense is quite short, so I can take a first crack on it as
well, as it is a priority to me as well.

> I see no problem in placing a CC license on the site and the wiki, though
> considering many people have contributed to the wiki I doubt we can just
> place a CC license on the existing content.  I don't see a problem in
> placing a CC license on the site content given that we can contact the small
> group of people who wrote it and ask for their permission.

The original Wiki site had GFDL. People should have agreed to GFDL when they
posted.
The current one has not such provision, and that is a problem.

As to which CC license we should pick, I would promote

CC BY-SA-NC

If they are publishing a book by reprinting wiki for profit, we should be
able to collect some money to help the community. Any thought?

> --David
>

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Scott Kveton wrote:
>
>  I noticed that neither openid.net nor wiki.openid.net has copyright
>>> notices.
>>>
>>> I think we should put one.
>>>

>> +1.
>>
>>  In addition, we need to pick the license terms.
>>>
>>> Do we want it them to be one of CC license?
>>>

>> +1
>>
>>  Also, I would very much appreciate a status report from the trademark
>>> committee on the status of the logo and trademark usage policy.
>>>

>> Raj/David/Bill: any progress on this?  How can we help?  Can we use
>> boilerplate or something from Apache, etc?
>>
>> - Scott

Nat Sakimura (=nat)
http://www.sakimura.org/en/