[OpenID board] [OpenID] UserVoice on OpenID.net

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:05:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Odin Omdal Hørthe <odin.omdal at gmail.com>wrote:

> service (IMHO).
>
> There is also Ideastorm (which is built upon Ubuntu Brainstorm), which
> is free software.

I am of course not opposed to free or open source software, but I am
realistic in that, much of the software that the OIDF has tried to maintain
on its own has failed to be maintained or kept up to date, for any number of
issues. I only advocated switching the wiki to PBWiki after months of asking
for the wiki to support OpenID  and getting nowhere.
I'm not a developer so I can't fix such things, and as much as I harass my
developers to do things like make the Mediawiki plugin work, it still comes
down to their discretion over how to use their time. In the end, we need
OpenID on the wiki, and we needed a more usable solution. Hopefully, we got
one, even if it's run by a third party.

The same thing goes here with UserVoice. The OIDF should be narrowly focused
on OpenID adoption, evangelism, improving the specs and clarifying OpenID's
value proposition -- building software, therefore, is a distraction unless
it furthers those ends. Supporting and maintaining software, unless we have
dedicated volunteers who demonstrate a willingness to pitch in as needed,
also runs counter to those goals.

Fortunately, UserVoice supports OpenID -- and I believe that we should be
able to extract our data should we ever need to. In the meantime, I'm
interested in the feedback that we can collect with a minimum amount of
effort.

Chris

--
Chris Messina