[OpenID board] URGENT: New Board members motion

DeWitt Clinton dewitt at google.com
Thu Oct 23 18:25:32 UTC 2008

Thanks, Dick.

I ask both to clarify my own understanding, and because most of the
background was to board-private, and the people on the public board list do
not have the context to understand the vote in progress.

For observers, here's what I can recall that can be made public:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg3mt5r8_35f72k7hhg):

> Motion 2: Offer board seats to the companies that were previously interested (making seven corporate members)
> and nominate Brian Kissell to serve as an interim community member until the next elections.
>
> Proposed by Dick. Seconded by Johannes.
>
> DeWitt and Gary objected on the grounds that this should wait until the membership committee
> has finished its proposal.
>
> The membership committee will therefore make its proposal via email next week and the board
> will vote on it via email to avoid delaying progress until the next full board meeting.
> Motion 2 was therefore withdrawn.

On October 16th, Bill Washburn sent the membership committee proposal to the
board-private mailing list in a thread "Ranked candidates for OIDF
Boardmembership".  There began a back-and-forth dialog about how the
candidates
were ranked, and a discussion about whether it was important that board
members implement OpenID.  Opinions were expressed on both sides.

On October 21st, Dick Hardt reintroduced this motion to the board-private
list:

I motion that we accept [redacted] and [redacted] as coporate board members
> and
> add [redacted] (presuming he accepts) as a community board member.
> [redacted]'s seat will come up for election at the next election.

(I additionally redacted the community member's name, as I don't follow the
logic of partial confidentiality.)

Martin seconded the motion.

I asked if the motion could be split into three separate nominations.  Dick
replied no, that the motion stood as it was.

David voted -1 due to the "current ongoing discussion in the thread titled
"Ranked candidates for OIDF Board membership"".

This morning, this thread "URGENT: New Board members motion" began on the
public board list.

Before we move on;  Dick and others, does this match your recollection.  Do
you feel it provides sufficient context?

-DeWitt