[OpenID board] OSL handling infrastructure for openid.net ...

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Jul 31 23:25:12 UTC 2008

Scott Kveton:

> I have to chime in again because I have knowledge in the space of
> dealing with hosting of open source communities.
>
> Yes, we could get a server for $40 - 50 /month easily.  Who's going to
> maintain it?  Who's going to back it up?  Who's going to make sure its
> up-to-date from a security perspective?  Who's going to deal with it
> if there is a catastrophic failure of the hardware?  Who's going to be
> on call 24/7 to manage the machine should something come up?  Also,
> there is sensitive data on this machine in the mailing lists; is this
> something we want to trust to just anybody?

I believe there are enough knowledgeable people surrounding this project
which are capable and most likely willing to take care of it. Here I
just made my offer and I'd be glad to provide references if needed ;-)

> Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples here.

Right! And I suspect that the needs of the OpenID community (server) are
rather easy to satisfy and this isn't a critical infrastructure either!
Lets stay with reality, OK?

>> Yes - or perhaps the amount is completly overblown. One year hosting != 10K,
>> sorry...
>>

> I should have clarified.  This was a one-time donation/payment to the
> OSL for the the hosting of the OpenID community on the OSL network for
> both the past 2 years and for the foreseeable future.

A donation should be just that - a donation. However I think that you
can do that with your own, private money, but not with funds paid by
other members which are intended to support an open standards project.
If the amount-to-be-donated would have been a symbolic and/or comparable
to the effort they invested for the OpenID, I wouldn't have questioned
your intentions. Maybe I'm missing information concerning the scope of
the service OSL provided, I think this to be overblown and not
proportional at all.

And I apologize for upsetting the party, but StartCom was supposed to
pay its membership fee by now. I've been subscribed to this list for
only two month in order to get the feeling about what to except, I'm
glad I did.