[OpenID board] OpenID Foundation and Japan

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Sun Feb 10 20:00:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I'm trying to bring together a few different threads of conversation
around formalizing OpenID in Japan.  Six Apart KK, NRI, and VeriSign
KK have been speaking for the past few months about the desire to both
protect OpenID intellectual property in Japan as well as having an
organization to promote and encourage adoption of OpenID via.  So far
there seem to be a few possibilities (feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong):
  1) Do not establish any legal entity or formal recognition of
members of the OpenID Foundation from Japan
  2) Do not establish a legal entity in Japan but somehow recognize
members of the OpenID Foundation from Japan
  3) Establish a legal entity in Japan which is not formally part of
the OpenID Foundation, but is recognized like OpenID Europe Foundation
  4) Establish a legal entity in Japan which is formally a part of the
OpenID Foundation (eg Mozilla Europe)

Obviously there are various pros and cons to each choice, though we
should also remember that the decision here will most likely dictate
the outcome of future similar scenarios.  I'd be especially interested
in the views of the multi-national companies especially those also
working with OpenID internationally.

--David