[OpenID board] [OpenID] PAPE Vote Discussion

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 23 22:06:11 UTC 2008

This same patent promise also applies to Final Specifications.  That allows implementers to implement Final Specifications during the 60-day evaluation period, just like they can safely implement Implementer's Drafts during their 45-day evaluation period.

The intent of the procedures was to allow working groups to make the call whether additional input is definitely needed, in which case an Implementer's Draft is appropriate, or whether the working group believes that no additional input is likely needed, in which case a Final Specification is appropriate.  In both cases there are public review periods of 45 or 60 days, respectively, in case the community believes that changes are necessary before an approval vote by the membership.

To the extent that people believe that it's ambiguous in the current procedures whether this choice is in the hands of the Working Group, as David apparently does, we should add clarifying language to the procedures to make this plain to all that this decision is up to the Working Group.

                                Cheers,
                                -- Mike