[OpenID board] The Specs Council and Process (WAS: Re: Executive Committee meeting 12/18/2008 ...)

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Wed Dec 17 20:23:57 UTC 2008

Well, it doesn't go all the way to the book-end approach we're taking with OWF. This is just a slight simplification of the current process.

The OIDF requires upfront scope approved by the foundation to create a WG. The approval process is taking too long and meanwhile, people are writing specs elsewhere. Those specs are in IPR limbo and needs cleanup if they to eventually enter a WG or have a different IPR policy attached.

So my suggestion is simple. Follow the same IPR policy as you have today for pre-WG work, meaning, write a clear scope and have some form of discussion among those interested in participation. Create a mailing list (or designate an existing one) for that work, and apply the IPR policy *as-if* this is an official WG. Once the WG is ready to publish its first draft, that draft + scope (with possible changes) is submitted for an actual WG creation.

If a WG is created, the work continues and the IPR license is already in place. If the WG is not created, the parties involved can continue as they choose.

All I am really suggesting is to move the WG approval to after the first draft, but other than that, keep everything else the same.

EHL