[OpenID board] The Specs Council and Process (WAS: Re: Executive Committee meeting 12/18/2008 ...)

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Wed Dec 17 19:16:53 UTC 2008

I take it you didn't have to personally "figure out the IPR afterwards"...

OAuth took 8 months to get the IRP done. OpenID 2.0 involved a lot of work. We need to fix the process. There is nothing wrong with approving WGs fast and dissolving them if they are no longer active/needed.

What we might want to consider is a pre-WG stage where all the IPR rules apply but it is not yet an official WG until after the publication of the first draft - so it gives people a place and some time to work out the feasibility of their work. But for IPR purposes, *IF* the work is turned into a WG, all the contributions made prior are still in.

EHL