[OpenID board] Trademark problem?

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Dec 4 00:27:16 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008 10:28 PM, Dick Hardt:

> The original message showed that a company OpenQ had announced a
> product called OpenID.

OK, yes now I understand. Small oversight on their behalf I guess ;-)

> How the board was going to approach OpenQ was moved to board-private.

Not sure why that's needed. I mean, contacting the lawyers and have them
run isn't such a big deal to have it hidden away. Anything else (besides
a polite note to them requesting immediate removal by the same lawyer
representing the OpenID foundation) I can't see what should be private
nor how such a knowledge would give them any advantage. Do you see one?

> I bring up the volunteer aspect to highlight that resources are
> limited. There is only so much that can be done and we prioritize
> where efforts are spent.

Yes of course....however I'm still baffled how an non-profit
organization in form of a foundation which such formidable financial
backing has problems putting the easiest things in place. Of course if
this organization is willing to spend 10K on a years hosting (I know you
were against it), but besides that is hardly capable of getting an
election going (including needed software) than nothing should surprise
really. I don't know if it's only me, but somehow something somewhere
doesn't sound quite right. Whining about "we are only volunteers"
doesn't help, some efficiency and management perhaps would.