[OpenID board] Establishing the specifications council

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 24 02:38:49 UTC 2008

Section 2 of our IPR process document<http://openid.net/ipr/> says:

2  Specifications Council.  The initial Specifications Council, as of the date these Processes are adopted, will be comprised of two persons selected by the Board and five persons selected by the then-current OpenID Authentication 2.0 Specification Editors.  The members of the Specifications Council will serve for two year terms (although one of the initial members selected by the Board and two of the initial members selected by the Editors of the OpenID Authentication 2.0 Specification will serve for only a one year term - as selected by consensus of the Specifications Council - so that Specifications Council membership terms may be staggered).  There are no "term limits" for Specifications Council membership, and the Board or Eligible Editors, as applicable, may re-select the same persons to serve for more than one term (consecutive or otherwise).
I plan to start the PAPE working group shortly, at which point we'll need a specifications council to fulfill its mission in section 4.2:

4.2 Review.  The Specifications Council will review each proposal within 15 days after receipt and promptly provide notice to specs at openid.net<mailto:specs at openid.net> of its recommendation to either accept or reject it, together with a brief statement of the rationale for its recommendation (including any findings or opinions by the Specifications Council regarding the criteria for rejection in the following clauses (a)-(d).  The decision to accept or reject the proposal will then promptly be submitted to a vote of the OIDF membership, in accordance with the voting procedures in §3.
Therefore, I propose that we add to the agenda for the upcoming board call choosing the two board-selected specifications council members and identifying the "then-current OpenID Authentication 2.0 Specification Editors" for the purpose of informing them that they will be soon be called upon to act in their capacity as Specifications Council members.

                                                Thanks,
                                                -- Mike