[OpenID board] Trademark board meeting issue

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Fri Mar 2 23:50:54 UTC 2007

I'm asking to put this item on the agenda of the next board call,
e.g. call it "Permissible uses of the OpenID mark".

I've been asked whether a particular proposed use of the term OpenID
and the OpenID logo is permissible ... because my company is
currently the owner of the OpenID trademark registration.

The proposed use in this case goes a bit beyond current practice.

As our intention at NetMesh is to assign the trademark registration
to the foundation as soon as it is properly set up and when the other
IP is being assigned by everybody, I would want to avoid to
unilaterally decide whether or not a proposed use of the mark in a
different fashion is acceptable or not.

So I'd like to discuss what the foundation's policy will likely be on
this issue, so I can get back to the individual asking me on this.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.