[OpenID board] IPR Policy and Process Proposal

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Wed Apr 25 00:31:16 UTC 2007

Dick,

RE the IPR Policy, Blanket Reciprocity term, I don't think you give a
license for anything other than the Necessary Claims you contribute. The
issue is that if you sue another Contributor for ANYTHING - even something
totally unrelated to OpenID - you lose the license they have provided to any
Necessary Claims they contributed.

See the suggestion in the Blanket Reciprocity open issue section for a
simple way to fix that.

RE the formal process, I agree that essentially it's a very lightweight
standards process. Call it a community process. But if you read Gabe's
proposal closely, the full skeleton is there. Voting (which would take place
directly on the lists), membership (which involves only membership on the
lists), governance (which is this process doc itself) is all covered - it's
all just very lightweight.

Overall, if the choice at this point in time comes down to putting in place
"just enough process" for the OpenID community to have its own lightweight
process vs. being forced to move the specs to a full-blown SDO, I'd prefer
the former.

How do the rest of the board members feel?

=Drummond

  _____