[OpenID board] [Contact us] Sponcering OpenID

Scott Kveton scott at janrain.com
Thu Apr 5 15:52:49 UTC 2007

Hi Justen,

> Is it going to take 5k or 20k :)... Lets say I might arrange funds, do we have
> a route for bylaws on how the money is spent etc?
>
> I would be interested in something like this.
>
> Maybe we could offer legal fees or something similar that would help move the
> foundation along with the recent proposal for bylaws.

Ahh, I think there is some confusion here.  The sponsorship page you clicked
through was associated with the OpenID Bounty program that was launched in
July of 2006 and is not in any way associated with the OpenID Foundation at
this time.  The OpenID Foundation (once formed) may actually administer the
bounty program but that will be up to the current sponsors (listed on the
sponsorship page: http://iwantmyopenid.org/bounty/sponsors).

> Does one self appoint themselves? If that's the case I am all in!

The board was put together from active members of the OpenID community and
they have taken it upon themselves to build a sustainable organization that
has community representation.  Currently we're just trying to get the key
mechanics in place and the current board of 7 people have committed their
time and effort to getting that done as quickly as possible.

> I would like to think that I have quite a bit of experience with things like
> incorporation, and the related issues. Is there a path beyond corporate
> sponsorship for getting involved at the board level?

You're more than welcome to participate in the discussions happening on the
OpenID board list (copied).  Right now we're just focused on getting
incorporated so we can start addressing some of the key concerns voiced by
the community around IP, trademark, etc.

We're still debating how corporate sponsorship would work as we don't want
to make it appear the OpenID Foundation is a pay-for-play organization.
There are several ways we're exploring to do this that may involve corporate
sponsorship but we want to make sure that is tempered with equal community
involvement.

You can read more about the OpenID Foundation here:

http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/OpenID_Foundation

As well as see the meeting minutes and our current progress on
incorporation.

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest!

- Scott