Use of authorized party

Pieter Ennes pieterennes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:14:51 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to grasp the use of the azp claim in OIDC, the specification
seems to give minimal context in general, but also contradicts itself if
I read correctly.

For the audience claim the following is stated:

  "It MUST contain the OAuth 2.0 client_id of the Relying Party as an
audience value."

Hence, client_id MUST be one of the audiences. And in relation to the
authorized party, the following is mentioned:

  "If present, it MUST contain the OAuth 2.0 Client ID of this party."

Thus, it can only contain the client_id if present.

However, the same paragraph then goes on:

  "This Claim is only needed when the ID Token has a single audience
value and that audience is different than the authorized party."

This contradicts the first two quotes, since if there is only a single
audience, then both aud and azp MUST be exactly the client_id and they
can't possibly be different.

What I'm trying to understand: Is the intention of azp to select an
authorized party from a list of *multiple* audiences? This seems to be
hinted to in section 3.1.3.7 ID Token Validation:

  "4. If the ID Token contains multiple audiences, the Client SHOULD
verify that an azp Claim is present."

- Pieter