Re: Review of Proposed Implementer’s Draft of OpenID 2.0 to OpenID Connect Migration Specification

Chris Drake christopher at pobox.com
Thu Sep 25 05:54:50 UTC 2014

Hi Nat,

Yeah, two-step (TOTP) blocks keyloggers, not phishing (TOTP was invented in 1984, before we had networks and real-time attacks).  breakins worldwide have doubled in the last 12months, and risen 800% in the banking industry, almost exclusively on the back of phishing... risk-based and multifactor are both widespread, and absolutely not working (and don't get me started on the stupidity of "risk based" - the false positives are making the internet unusable for travelers and other legit people, and having no effect whatsoever on crime).

The protocol is the cause of the problem.  It's one-way-only, which is why phishing is working so well.  It's not enough to authenticate a user to a site, the opposite needs to take place as well, at the same time, as part of the protocol.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake