Mozilla BrowserID

Allen Tom allentomdude at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:47:52 UTC 2011

Using the email address as the first class identifier is a good idea, so
+10000 for using email address as the one true identifier. I also like how
they have an interim solution for users whose email provider doesn't support
BrowserID.

 An "EmailID" proposal might be viable, but I think BrowserID has some major
issues:

1) Doesn't work with rich client apps (desktop, mobile, tablet) when there's
no browser.

2) No mechanism to enable RPs to call APIs on behalf of the authenticated
user. Almost all RPs will want more than just the user's email address -
they'll want rich profile data, the ability to write to activity streams,
sharing APIs, location data, etc.

I don't see how BrowserID provides any advantages over something like OpenID
Connect where Email Address is the identifier.

Allen