Charter submission for Account Chooser Working Group

Eric Sachs esachs at google.com
Mon Aug 29 23:59:05 UTC 2011

>> Can you give us a idea as to what the content and format of the design
spec might look like?

There is a bit of intro to answers those questions at the top of
https://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/workinggroupcharter

The goal is to look something like the section of the existing OpenID user
interface extension that has guidelines outside protocol specs.  However the
UI guidelines would be much more detailed then the few sentences in that
spec.  We posted an initial rough
spec<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ES9vo1euh3ArzKRaAmCfZWWwTm5bluNuH49hFec5a_I/edit?hl=en_US>
using
that approach.  Some people have suggested adding one bit of protocol to the
spec which is a way for the RP to tell the IDP that it is implementing an
account chooser so that the IDP could do something different, just as it
does for the popup spec.  However we have not been able to determine what
the "different" behavior would be.

There may be related output from the work in this area like open source JS
code.  There will hopefully also be easier to read implementation guides
that are not in the spec format, but include things like mocks and
flowcharts.  There are some examples of something like that at
http://accountchooser.com/ux.html.  However that type of output seemed to be
outside the bounds of what a WG charter should cover.

Eric Sachs | Senior Product Manager | esachs at google.com