Why Connect?

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Tue May 25 23:00:13 UTC 2010

>Would it be considered a failure state or a success if OpenID
>retains its existing design but few in the marketplace adopt it?

Are we talking total market share or number of adopters?

The former can be covered just as well by a large number of small
players, since users often have accounts with more than one party.
Adoption is better achieved by gaining the support of those very few
large players (who, between them, claim a majority of the user base),
but how many past protocols have ultimately failed because they were
aimed at (and served *primarily*) only those larger players?

>Taking a less-than-pragmatic approach that meets the needs of a
>number of classes of stakeholders seems to work entirely against the
>goals of achieving more user-centricity in the marketplace. OpenID
>Connect may not be the ideal long term solution, and that fine with
>me. If the next generation of identity technologies gets baked
>without the OpenID foundation playing a role, then I think we might
>have missed a very critical window to actually shift things in the
>direction that we prefer in the long term.

I agree here as well: how far into step do we wish to fall, then?

-Shade