[OpenID board] Why Connect?

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Tue May 25 14:56:52 UTC 2010

Hi Eran,

Its not so much about what I want, to me its about what the RPs and end
users want since that will ultimately drive adoption and usage.  Having
talked with some existing and prospective RPs who are trying to follow this
discussion, they are having a pretty hard time.  Maybe something we could do
is create a summary on a wiki like a political ballot initiative.   Each
group advocating an approach could list the objectives and advantages of
their proposal, and the other group could list their perceived disadvantages
of that approach.    After the document is live we could proactively solicit
input from lots of RPs to come and comment on the proposals.

Personnally, I’d like to see a way to create an MRD that spans a range of
markets and use cases, as I believe Raj Mata and Eric Sachs have advocated,
and see if we can come up with one unified core technology approach that is
extensible enough to serve all the targeted use cases in a componentized
way.  If that’s not possible and we have to fork the technology with
something like OpenID Connect for social web applications and something like
OpenID V.Next for enterprise, ecommerce and government applications, then we
should do it in a way that makes it as easy for end users and RPs to make
the migration.  In any case, I’d like to see all this branded as OpenID or
some derivation of OpenID that can be mananged by the OpenID Foundation.
The RPs that we’ve talked to would really like a one stop shop place to go
for guidance (libraries, deployment guides, test suites, best practices,
etc.) on OpenID, OAuth, Portable Contacts, Activity Streams, Discovery, Open
Social, etc.    It seems like the OpenID Foundation is currently the best
place to provide this.   So it seems like the market will be better served
if we can come together as opposed create competitive approaches and
messages.

Look forward to input from others.

Cheers,

Brian

* *

*Brian Kissel <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/10/254>*

CEO - JanRain, Inc.

bkissel at janrain.com

Mobile: 503.342.2668 | Fax: 503.296.5502

519 SW 3rd Ave. Suite 600  Portland, OR 97204

*Increase registrations, engage users, and grow your brand with RPX.  Learn
more at **www.rpxnow.com*