[OpenID board] Why Connect?

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Tue May 25 03:55:54 UTC 2010

>>  OpenID Connect as currently envisioned misses many of the internet identity
>>  use cases.
>
>And covers most of the ones desired by those currently implementing OpenID.

While we're all trying to pinpoint what OpenID (v.Next) versus OAuth
versus OpenID Connect is *envisioned* to do (not necessarily what it
*does*), might I suggest that this is more of a philosophical
question than a practical one? I would also add that I saw this
separation coming, and posted to the General list recently hoping
that, by asking such a question, the community would enjoy clarity
and therefore focus. Though the question seems more appropriate there
than here, I will sum it up: what is OpenID that uniquely attracts us
to *it* instead of (or in addition to) the alternatives?

-Shade