[OpenID board] Why Connect?

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Tue May 25 02:22:57 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-24, at 7:01 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> [...]

I agree this is better than OpenID 2.0 for many use cases. I can see how it is an obvious evolution for how OAuth is used to gather identity information. I also think Connect has not holistically looked at what the broader internet identity problems are, and is painting itself into an architecture corner.

As a creator of the OAuth hammer, I can see you view this as an OAuth nail. I don't see it that way.

>>> This is very much an issue of timing. If the problem is the name, call it the
>> "OAuth Identity Framework",
>>
>> OpenID Connect has very little to do with OpenID, and lots to do with OAuth.
>> That sounds like a better name.
>
> True if you define OpenID as nothing but a protocol. But if that is your definition, I think OpenID best days are behind it. People don't care about protocols, they care about products. I think it would be a mistake for the OpenID foundation to let OAuth take over such a huge chunk of the current OpenID use cases.

I see OpenID as a solution for the Internet Identity Problem.  agree that many have viewed OpenID as a protocol, and one that was good enough. OpenID v.Next is queuing up to provide a holistic solution. The process for v.Next was started a couple months ago. As you know, these things take time.