[OpenID board] Why Connect?

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Tue May 25 02:01:24 UTC 2010

And covers most of the ones desired by those currently implementing OpenID. For those using OpenID 2.0 today, this proposal offers a full and significantly better replacement. This proposal is 100% market-driven, which is not something I can say about OpenID now or in the past. This proposal is driven by developers, providers, and end users.

> > This is very much an issue of timing. If the problem is the name, call it the
> "OAuth Identity Framework",
>
> OpenID Connect has very little to do with OpenID, and lots to do with OAuth.
> That sounds like a better name.

True if you define OpenID as nothing but a protocol. But if that is your definition, I think OpenID best days are behind it. People don't care about protocols, they care about products. I think it would be a mistake for the OpenID foundation to let OAuth take over such a huge chunk of the current OpenID use cases.

> > leaving OpenID to be whatever the v.next WG decides it will be a year or
> two from now.
>
> That sounds like a challenge I am will to take on. :)

Well, that's something the foundation will have to figure out. All I can do is offer my perspective.

EHL