The problem with OpenID (TAKE 2)

Santosh Rajan santrajan at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:04:36 UTC 2010

Unfortunately I haven't seen any concrete work for OpenID V.Next. I agree
David's strawman "OpenID Connect" has interesting properties. Unfortunately
David's strawman "tantamounts to a virtual admission that we have no better
idea's for OpenID".

The reason i am saying this is because we seem to have got ourselves stuck
up on the idea that "Only symmetric keys will work". In spite of the fact
that I am more or less in tune with this idea, have we "investigated the
fact that asymmetric keys might be the solution to the Identity problem?". I
know this will ruffle some feathers around here, but don't you think we need
to give it a serious consideration for OpenID.

And on a lighter note -

David said "Why the name "OpenID Connect"? I'm a geek which means that good
branding (or good design) isn't my thing, but Chris Messina (who is good at
branding and design) proposed it a few months ago."

This is like the "beauty" claiming to be the "GEEK". And I will tell you
why.

After researching the OpenID story for the last few years all  I saw was
that the real GEEK was "Brad Fitz", and David presumably was the "beauty" in
the OpenID story.

And where did "Chris Messina" come into the OpenID story? Neither is he a
"geek" or a "beauty"!

http://hi.im/santosh