Building identity on top of OAuth 2.0?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sun May 16 01:58:24 UTC 2010

I'm excite to see this proposal, as it represents something concrete to
discuss and debate. I'd like to see how this strawman proposal can be used
within the technical working group as a point of inspiration.

I'd also point out, for completeness, that OpenID Connect does not
necessarily represent what OpenID v.Next should look like, but instead is
more like a profile of several technologies strung together to address the
need of a "connect" API pattern with decentralization at its core (a feature
that I consider absolutely essential to its success and architecture).

Looking forward to feedback on this.

Chris

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Recordon <recordond at gmail.com> wrote:

> The past few months I've had a bunch of one on one conversations with a lot
> of different people – including many of folks on this list – about ways to
> build a future version of OpenID on top of OAuth 2.0. Back in March when I
> wrote a draft of OAuth 2.0 I mentioned it as one of my future goals as well
> (http://daveman692.livejournal.com/349384.html).
>
> Basically moving us to where there's a true technology stack of TCP/IP ->
> HTTP -> SSL -> OAuth 2.0 -> OpenID -> (all sorts of awesome APIs). Not just
> modernizing the technology, but also focusing on solving a few of the key
> "product" issues we hear time and time again.
>
> I took the past few days to write down a lot of these ideas and glue them
> together. Talked with Chris Messina who thought it was an interesting idea
> and decided to dub it "OpenID Connect" (see
> http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2010/01/04/openid-connect/). And thanks to Eran
> Hammer-Lahav and Joseph Smarr for some help writing bits of it!
>
> So, a modest proposal that I hope gets the conversation going again.
> http://openidconnect.com/
>
> --David

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Personal: http://factoryjoe.com
Follow me on Buzz: http://buzz.google.com/chrismessina
...or Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private