OpenID V.Next - Some Views to Consider

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu May 13 20:00:39 UTC 2010

For thirty years Internet users have understood their user identifier
to be username at domain.

I see absolutely zero interest from end users in being identified in
any other way. The attempts to provide them with this 'flexibility;
are unwanted and unnecessary. They are also counter-productive as they
mean that OpenID identifiers do not work with the legacy
infrastructure which expects a username at domain format. For example,
X.509 certificates and PGP key signing assertions.

I think we need to have a three part proposal for OpenID 3.0. Note
that this would not prevent support for legacy providers via OpenID
2.0 protocol.

1) The format of the identifier is 'user part' @ domain name. If the
user wants to assign roles etc they may do so according to existing
practice that has been established for email sub-addressing.

2) The resolution protocol for the domain part of the user identifier
is totally independent of any application protocol, including HTTP, it
uses DNS and only DNS to resolve the DNS name. This would be protocol
neutral and equally applicable to the OpenID protocol, Kerberos, SAML,
WS-Trust etc. etc.

3) One specific protocol option for resolving the 'user part'

The advantage of this approach is that parts 1 and 2 are completely
foundational, they may be applied by any authentication/identity
protocol, albeit possibly requiring a profile to be written to define
some additional details.

The only new mechanism is part 3 and that would be as far as possible
backwards compatible with OpenID 2.0.

The main consequences of this approach would be that

* Open ID 3.0 would effectively co-opt all past and future
authentication protocols into the OpenID space in precisely the same
way that the Web co-opted FTP, NNTP, WAIS etc. Even though the scope
of such services may be intentionally restricted to local scope, the
consistency means that we can leverage existing infrastructure for
internal purposes.

* OpenID 3.0 providers would be required to have network
administration privileges for their domain.

I see requiring network admin privileges for the domain to be
desirable. I really do not like the repurposing of the HTTP to be a
user profile management tool any more than I like repurposing the DNS
to be a user profile management tool. The approach of well known
addresses is deprecated with good reason and the proposed use is not
compatible with past precedent. The robots.txt file provides metadata
that relates to the site and the functioning of the Web server
publishing data. This proposal extends the function of the Web site to
making identity assertions, a very different issue.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/