Draft charter for v.Next Attributes working group

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue May 11 03:25:58 UTC 2010

Mike,

The OpenID spec isn't that hard to read.  It's a fairly straight-forward
protocol.  There are a few places in the text that made me scratch my head,
but it was primarily due to the fact that it was the first time I read
through the document.

Adding support for email-style addresses is something I like, but something
that can be provided via webfinger.  Thus, no change to the base protocol.

I really like the idea of being able to provide a lot more information,
which could be done through artifact binding.  That would require an
addition to the protocol, but would not necessitate a change that would
break backward-compatibility with the base 2.0 spec.  Further, I think that
addition, if done right, might address the issue with long URLs and future
requirements for various pieces of metadata.

I am curious about the interop issues with various OPs.  But, given how
trivial the base OpenID spec is, it seems like we ought to be able to
identify the faulty implementation and fix it without declaring the need for
something entirely different.

I appreciate you sharing the details with me, but I still feel a bit uneasy
about breaking backward-compatibility. :-(  I wish there was a way to avoid
that.

Paul