Draft OpenID v.Next Discovery working group charter

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue May 11 01:49:43 UTC 2010

On 5/10/2010 6:30 PM, SitG Admin wrote:
>>  Formally, a query that gets a cache hit is the same as one that
>> doesn't:  It is a DNS query. The fact that the retrieval is successful
>> at the local store (cache) simply does not affect the underlying
>> model, no matter how many cross-net interactions with an actual DNS
>> server it saves.
>
> Understood, then. So; returning to your original question, I do not know
> of any discovery mechanism *currently* under consideration, though I
> *do* hope to write a Tor plugin and submit it for inclusion once v.Next
> is well-formed enough that I can count on the specs in place staying the
> same long enough to be worth working with.

I was under the impression that Tor only masked source IP address:

    "Tor can't solve all anonymity problems. It focuses only on protecting the
transport of data. "

    <http://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en#thesolution>

This really has nothing to do with the kind of naming that openid does.  Openid
operates at a different level of the architecture.

> Whether that would be considered *likely* to come under consideration is
> a question I cannot answer.
>
>>> Hmm . . . but *which* DNS system?
>>
>> There's more than one?
>
> Sure! Even discounting a user's hosts file (handy for setting up test

Host files are a form of caching, but they do not define a new namespace.  Rogue
systems do not participate in the public Internet's standards; besides that they
have gained enough market share to matter.  Split DNS support within intranets
are a more interesting case but, again, they augment rather than compete with
the single public Internet's DNS.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker