Draft charter for v.Next Attributes working group

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue May 11 01:45:46 UTC 2010

This was discussed as the last IIW (see http://self-issued.info/?p=256).  The point of view taken was there are a number of things being introduced that will be incompatible with OpenID 2.0 by definition, such as OpenID identifiers using e-mail syntax.  Likewise, there are things that are believed to be broken, such as having two different specifications for delivering attributes (both optional!).

The consensus was that we'll end up with a cleaner and easier to implement spec if we don't require backwards compatibility.  Just like SAML 2.0 is related to, but not compatible with SAML 1.1, we expect OpenID v.Next to be related to, but not compatible with OpenID 2.0.  And reusing the SAML analogy, it's common for installations to support both SAML 1.1 and SAML 2.0 for a transition period while their partners migrate to SAML 2.0.  I expect that a similar migration strategy to be employed by OpenID installations, in cases where backwards compatibility is important.

Per the last OpenID summit, there's a reason why RPXNow has custom code for every major OP.  It's a goal for v.Next to make that unnecessary...

                                                                -- Mike