Draft OpenID v.Next Discovery working group charter

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon May 10 18:10:17 UTC 2010

On 4/13/2010 4:08 PM, SitG Admin wrote:
>> We could consider other 'discovery' mechanisms in addition, but if we
>> do not support the use of DNS discovery we are not supporting the
>> Internet architecture.
>
> +1: DNS *and* other (non-DNS) discovery mechanisms.

Since OpenID is used to identify (virtual) individuals, while the DNS identify
hosts or systems, there is an apparent mismatch of granularity.

For these sorts of discussions, use of DNS is usually meant as the means of
identify a particular server that, in turn, handles queries about a /set of/
individuals.  So the DNS does not, itself, handle a full query.

That is, use of DNS is usually part of a two-stage discovery mechanism.

So, what is specifically meant for the discovery mechanism here?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking