private association fro unsolicited positive assertions

Breno de Medeiros breno at google.com
Fri Mar 26 09:02:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:04, nara hideki <hdknr at ic-tact.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> I'm afraid that this question has been discussed ,but I can't found that.
>
> "10.  Responding to Authentication Requests" of Auth 2.0 Final says:
>
>   OPs SHOULD use private associations for signing unsolicited
> positive assertions.

It could lead to less interoperability -- if the RP has revoked the
key (e.g., because it suspects that the key has been compromised),
then the RP would reject the assertion as an error (recognizing the
revoked handle).

A similar situation appears if the OP has a policy on key refresh rate
that is longer than the RP's. That would cause the RP to revoke the
key when the OP still believes it as valid.

I think the current reading of the spec promotes interoperability with
flexibility in key management, and that's good for security.