WebFinger at Google

Santosh Rajan santrajan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:28:04 UTC 2010

>From the OpenID perspective we have to see webfinger as a part of
"normalizing  the user supplied identifier". So the OpenID normalization
process would go something like this given a user supplied identifier. (I
will ignore XRI for simplicity)
1) Check to see if the identifier starts with http or https. If yes proceed
as per protocol.
2) If not check to see if the identifier has an "@" sign within the
identifier. If yes use webfinger to get the normalized identifier and
proceed.
3) If not add http to the identifier and proceed.

So really what webfinger returns is the normalized identifier, it is NOT yet
a "claimed id" nor is it a "Local id".

So I am suggesting one of these two rels.
"openid.normalizedID".
"http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/normalizedID".

http://hi.im/santosh