WebFinger at Google

John Panzer jpanzer at google.com
Mon Mar 22 20:57:38 UTC 2010

So the distinction appears to be in the (conceptual) relations between:

TODAY:
acct:bob at gmail.com <acct%3Abob at gmail.com> maps with rel=
http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/provider to
http://www.google.com/profiles/3922823829347234234

=="My OpenID provider is this OpenID over there" -- this does read weirdly.

PROPOSED:
acct:bob at gmail.com <acct%3Abob at gmail.com> maps with rel=
http://openid.net/identity to
http://www.google.com/profiles/3922823829347234234

=="My OpenID identity is this OpenID over there" -- reads okay, but wouldn't
rel="me" be the same?

REJECTED:
acct:bob at gmail.com <acct%3Abob at gmail.com> maps with rel=
http://specs.openid.auth/2.0/server
to http://www.google.com/profiles/3922823829347234234

=="My OpenID provider server is this URL over there" -- would make sense if
you say that an acct: URI _is_ an OpenID.

Seems to me that the last one would make sense iff an acct: URI could be
considered an OpenID in and of itself, and not otherwise.  And the middle
one could make sense in that scenario, but would be a bit indirect and
unnecessary.

Thus, my questions :)

I'm purposely using the ugly default Google profile URLs to make a point, of
course.