Requirements discussion of OpenID Future

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Wed Jun 23 13:11:09 UTC 2010

We didn't go into the details on that call.

I was saying that the Web server flow we selected for the AB extension used direct communications from a client with a shared secret to retrieve the assertion.
We used JSON Magic Signature to provide a asymmetric signature over the assertion by the OP.

It was pointed out that a new proposal for asymmetric signatures has been added to OAuth 2.0.

I said that if that if that is appropriate it should be used instead of JSON Magic Signature for consistency with OAuth 2.0

Given the new signature method being accepted and appropriate you are close to being able to do a LoA 3 authentication on top of the OAuth Web Server flow.

That is not to say that other flows would have the same characteristics.

We discussed that the Agent flow doesn't require any authentication by the RP to the OP to receive a token.
I don't think that flow as proposed could meat LoA 2.    It may not meet LoA 1 the use of iFrames to pass information in the browser needs to be looked at from a security point of view.   The existing approved schemes all use redirect or POST.

Nat and I are proposing a IA to OAuth 2 to add a request by reference option.  That with a encrypted/audience restricted token for the response would likely allow the agent profile to be used at higher LoA.

So yes the OAuth 2.0 agent profile and other multi leg profiles are not 90% done as far as higher LoA, or perhaps any LoA.

At LoA 3 there is also the question of what the signature must cover for non repudiation.

In pure OAuth 2.0 if only the access token is signed,  and you use that to access a endpoint that asserts an Identity and other attributes to determine the identity that may be a slick solution, but not meet the non-repudiation requirements.

The authors of SP-800-63 were thinking that the assertion would always include an identifier and other time and authorization information like asserted LoA that is signed by the IdP in a way that cannot be repudiated later.

The non-repudiation aspect of LoA 3 is a technical requirement for legal reasons as opposed to security reasons.
In AB Nat and I made sure that the required elements were signed as part of the assertion that contained the access token.
Whatever the access token was used to retrieve was out of scope.   Much like a SAML attribute query would be in conjunction with a SAML LoA 3 authentication.

So not all of the issues for all of the flows for OIC are sorted out.

Nat and I have a proposal for higher LoA in AB based on the web server flow, that mostly leverages the underlying OAuth security.

It may be that OIC defines multiple flows and the Agent flow is not appropriate for higher LoA.

These things need further discussion in a Work Group.

John B.