foaf+ssl was: XAuth critiques

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Jun 8 23:08:09 UTC 2010

On 9 Jun 2010, at 00:54, SitG Admin wrote:

>> And the social aspect is exactly how Facebook and LinkedIn increase the quality of the data: it is crowd sourcing of attribute validation. Your friends are the people who vouch for you.
>
> *dreamily* I've always wanted to break Facebook . . . just to prove how weak their model really is ;)

Facebook's problems (and strengths) are elsewhere: their ownership of the network. It's their strength, because they did not have to wait for us to come up with a solution before showing us all how important social networks are. Their weakness, which can be overcome, is their centralisation: since many groups cannot join such a network.

The network of trust, is what they built their business on. We just believe this can be extended to a much larger sphere of operation: the world.

As Linus Torvalds said in his presentation on Git [1]

[[
The way merging is done is the way real security is done... by a network of trust. If you have ever done any security work and it did not involve the concept of network of trust it wasn't security work. It was masturbation.
]]

> -Shade, too, refrains from overselling

Ooopps, did I just do it again?

Henry