[OpenID] Finally the Shit has hit the fan!

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Jun 7 16:53:02 UTC 2010

Thanks John,

People seem to be a bit on the edgy side these days.

Between Connect, xAuth, and v.Next.

People aught to remember that openID 2.0 is itself a amalgamation of technologies from LID, SXIP, XRDS and others that I have probably forgotten.

Examining and incorporating new ideas is something that is not new to openID.

That is not to say that everything gets adopted ether.

xAuth is a solution that a group of people have come up with for a problem.

We need to engage and understand, not ridicule.

I certainly have concerns about potential issues with xAuth,  but I have taken them up with Meebo and others working on xAuth.

It is still early days for xAuth.

I can't predict if it will be a technology that openID will embrace.

The same is true for Connect, or whatever it will be called at the end of the day.

I would rather work with those companies who are primarily concerned with providing OAuth protected API like facebook inside the OIDF, than tell them to go develop there ideas elsewhere.

Once we decide that "We" know best and have the one true way, we will be no better than other protocols that we have mocked in the past.

I am going to continue to help people develop there ideas so that we can determine the ones with merit.

In fairness to Eran, my initial reaction was quite negative as well,  fortunately I took the time to discuss xAuth with the proposers before deciding the sky was falling.

Regards

John B.