[OpenID] Finally the Shit has hit the fan!

John Panzer jpanzer at google.com
Mon Jun 7 16:15:05 UTC 2010

It's not a centralized component[1].

I'm disappointed in Eran's post and wrote a response yesterday:

http://www.abstractioneer.org/2010/06/xauth-is-lot-like-democracy.html

Unfortunately, FUD sells and Eran's post is being retweeted and cited pretty
widely.  If you're going to agree with his objections, please read the
rebuttals as well, and explain why you think they're not sufficient.

-John

[1] There is nuance here which I'm ignoring in order to get a clear message
across.  The initial implementation has a single centralized piece, a DNS
entry, but no centralized services or data storage at all.  The end game is
a fully decentralized system, but you need a path to get there.  Go read the
details at
http://www.abstractioneer.org/2010/06/xauth-is-lot-like-democracy.html or
at
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-xauth-to-simplify-social-web.html