Problem with nonces and HTTP GET

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Jan 29 01:55:36 UTC 2010

Hi Andrew -

POST responses require the OP to return HTTP 200 with a self-submitting form
in the body. This causes the browser to display a blank white page as an
interstitial before the RP¹s return_to URL is loaded. Given that the RP¹s
return_to page will probably take a couple seconds to load (network latency,
verifying the assertion, doing db lookups, etc) the blank white page really
looks clunky.

There are a couple hacks that can be done to make the POST form look more
attractive, but that involves returning even more data in the response body.

In contrast, the 302 Redirect/GET response does not display any blank
interstitials between the time the response is sent to the browser and the
the RP responds.

There¹s plenty of UX research that shows the effect of perceived latency
where even a fraction of a second increase in latency results in a
measurable decrease in user satisfaction. To encourage adoption, it¹s very
important that we match or exceed the UX standards that have already been
set by the proprietary solutions.

Thanks
Allen