Problem with nonces and HTTP GET

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:11:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:16 AM, John Bradley <john.bradley at wingaa.com>wrote:

> The problem is that RP are not tying the received assertion to the browser
> session the first time they receive the token.
>
> If you get the same token from the same browser session multiple times that
> should not be a problem.
>
> If you get the token from a different browser session that is a problem and
> it should be rejected.
>
> I don't think nonce processing in the spec is broken.   Perhaps RP
> implementations need to improve there handling of authentication tokens.
>
> eg set a cookie with the nonce from the last authentication so that if the
> user hits the back button and resubmits you can detect it.

The broken scenario I started this thread with is about the RP receiving the
assertion multiple times from the browser, but in such a way that the
initial HTTP responses were discarded.  So the RP setting a cookie in the
HTTP response wouldn't help the scenario.

But I think what you're suggesting would definitely help some of the
problems around this.