Problem with nonces and HTTP GET

Breno de Medeiros breno at google.com
Thu Jan 28 00:12:54 UTC 2010

Hi Andrew,

You raised two issues:

1. Nonce verification and its implications.

2. Using POST vs. GET as a philosophical issue of authentication protocols.

I think because of several reasons having to do with latency, user
experience, HTTP/HTTPS boundary warnings, robustness, there will be a
lot of reluctance to move from GET to POST, so while you make a valid
philosophical argument, GET will remain the prevailing mechanism for
entire practical reasons.

So, I propose you reboot this discussion by starting another thread on
the nonce verification problem (assuming GET is the used protocol).