"openid." name space of KeyValue Form

Nat Sakimura n-sakimura at nri.co.jp
Mon Feb 8 04:45:13 UTC 2010

(2010/02/08 10:50), Will Norris wrote:
> I've never thought of the "openid." prefix as part of the parameter
> name, even in URL form encoded messages... it's simply a namespace
> prefix to ensure URL parameters don't collide.  It's completely
> unnecessary in KVF encoded messages, and would add nothing but extra
> size to the payload.

That's what I was thinking. But after Hideki's message, I started to
doubt that a bit.
Currently, we only use Direct Response in a very limited way: (1)
association response and (2) direct verification. In both case, we
actually only send openid.* parameters in the request, so we do not need
any name space qualifier in the response. This led me to these question:

"Why are we putting openid.* in those request? / Why are we not putting
openid.* to the response? "

If we do not send anything but openid parameters on the request,
openid.* as a part of url is redundant.
If there is value in having openid.* in the request, then that is to
send parameters in other name-spaces, in which case, the response may
include other parameters as well, and we need name-space qualifier.

> You certainly don't need to add the prefix to KVF message to have
> consistency within an OpenID library.  For example, in the Internet2
> library that logic is entirely encapsulated within the message encoder
> and decoder.  Compare URLFormCodec[0] to KeyValueFormCodec[1].
> Everywhere else in the library, all message are treated exactly the
> same, regardless of how they were encoded on the wire.
> [0]:
> http://svn.middleware.georgetown.edu/view/java-openid/trunk/src/main/java/edu/internet2/middleware/openid/message/encoding/impl/URLFormCodec.java?view=markup
>
> [1]:
> http://svn.middleware.georgetown.edu/view/java-openid/trunk/src/main/java/edu/internet2/middleware/openid/message/encoding/impl/KeyValueFormCodec.java?view=markup

No, we do not. I have never seen a library that puts openid.* in KVF. My
curiosity after seeing Hideki's mail was not the current implementation
issue but about the future consistency and a little bit of historical
perspective.