Draft OpenID v.Next Discovery working group charter

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Sat Apr 17 00:37:58 UTC 2010

>they were being asked to become locked into a proprietary
>infrastructure with an unstated business model. Nor could they get
>their minds round the fact that using an open protocol does not mean
>that an infrastructure built on that protocol is open.

It does leave those who don't like it free to build their own, though.

I find it intriguing that the explicit "Nobody's planning on making
any money from this." is regarded as synonymous to "We refuse to
divulge our business model." - is it so difficult to believe that
weariness of old "let's monetize users" (at their expense) attitudes
can motivate any of us to try providing something new, a protocol
designed for user control? (I don't think OpenID fully provides this,
but it's visibly a step in the right direction.)

-Shade