Draft OpenID v.Next Discovery working group charter

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Fri Apr 16 08:55:45 UTC 2010

Dan,

> > Yeah, this is a challenge.  A DNS solution will not help, though.
>  Once one
> > has a Jabber ID, that can't be so easily changed.  Once one has an
> email ID,
> > that can be so easily changed, either.  This is one reason why I own
> my own
> > domain -- so I can run all of these services myself.  That's just
> > unreasonable for most.
>
> Is it really unreasonable for most Internet users to own their own
> domain(s)? Why exactly?

Sorry, I was vague.  I meant it's not reasonable for the average person to
run his own services.  I would certainly think it's reasonable that people
own their own domains.  I'm not sure how many would go for it.  Everybody
wants their own phone number, rather than an extension off of a switchboard
-- people understand that.  But, it's challenging to explain to some why
owning their own domain name might be useful to them.  With the right
marketing and services, though, I think somebody could make inroads there.

Paul