Requiring Pseudonymous Identifier

John Bradley jbradley at mac.com
Sun May 17 18:13:02 UTC 2009

So is it fair to characterize the use case delivering a attribute to a
RP that the RP can trust because it knows or the issuer can prove it's
authoritative for the attribute in some way,   while leaking the
minimal amount of information to 3rd parties.

I don't know that the privacy goal can be met without a client side
identity selector of some sort.
(this problem is solved in info-card that is why it has a selector)

The best thing would be for the RP to guide the user to select the
correct endpoint OP endpoint for that assertion and perform a identity
less openID transaction to get the attribute/claim from the OP.   If
the user uses the same auth OP for the attribute OP the auth OP learns
that the user has a relationsip with that attribute provider anyway,
but at least they don't see the value of the attribute.

If you are going to pass the token through the users Authentication OP
there are questions of end to end encryption that need to be
addressed.  The token  issuer would need the cert of the RP etc.

This has been well thought out in SAML and WS-Fed/Infocard.  If there
is a particular use case that needs solving I am OK with that, but
lets not reinvent the wheel for a third time just for something to do.

The original design goal of openID was to provide correlation and
disclosure for blogging.   Trying to retool it into something with
perfect privacy will take work.

This is a hybrid service where a RP can ask for a claim from a 3rd
party and have it encrypted end to end.   It uses information-cards
hosted at the OP.
https://higgins.eclipse.org/cloud-selector-test/
ttp://wiki.eclipse.org/Cloud_Selector

Have a look at this and let me know if it solves part of the use case.

Once a User is logged in an identity less openenID request could be
make and the user has the ability to direct via the card metaphor what
issuer will generate the token.

John Bradley