Requiring Pseudonymous Identifier

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Wed May 13 15:46:41 UTC 2009

Having two simultaneous threads on two closely related lists, with
the same subject line, can be confusing.

>Overloading our existing concept of an identifier to support
>identifying a group worries me. Most consumers expect an identifier
>to be for a person and are designed around this principle.

This worries me; I think it's narrow-minded to expect that users will
always be identified individually. Interpreting the larger concept of
"identity" as the smaller subset of "individuals" limits Consumer's
ability to understand (and interact with) real-life relationships.

>I think if groups are useful their design should be different such
>that consumers are able to distinguish between a user and a group.

I'd like to see group identity right alongside individual identity,
not relegated to an extension or otherwise consigned to optional
implementation. If the RP doesn't need to distinguish between
separate members of a group, it shouldn't have to work any harder
technically to accept group logins.

-Shade