Requiring Pseudonymous Identifier

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:50:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-May-09, at 1:36 AM, Nat Sakimura wrote:
>

>> Reason for using RP's Subject in XRD instead of simply using realm is
>> to allow for something like group identifier.
>>

> would you elaborate on the group identifier concept?

I'm not sure what Nat is specifically referring to, but there was a US
academic institution that provided OpenIDs for "classes" of people... i.e.
students, teachers, etc.

When you signed in for certain application, the OP would respond with the
appropriate identifier for a class of users.

So, imagine I use directed identity in a school application... when I sign
in to the OP, it will return something like schoolname.edu/student as the
identifier.

You could imagine something similar where you could use authentication as a
way to verify that someone comes from some geographic region or has
previously registered for certain entitlements.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // openid.net // vidoop.com