[OpenID] Signing method for XRD

David Garcia david.garcia at tractis.com
Fri Jun 12 08:48:47 UTC 2009

Hi Nat,

I completely agree with you, a single technology for those closely related
protocols would be better than forking. The main advantage using XMLdSIG is
that there are a huge amount of services currently working with this
technology. As far as I know there are mature libs for C, C++, Java, .net,
python, ruby, php .

Those libs are compliant with xmldsig interopt tests so this give us
warranties about their intertoperability. Message sign and verify primitives
are very simple from the point of view of the developer and the only problem
arises when trying to verify the signer certificate (path building,
validation, status validation vs CRL and OCSP...) but several "tricks" could
be made here to keep the process simple.

I'll feel very comfortable about using XMLdSIG because from the point of
view of the increase of complexity it won't be as easy as raw data
processing, but it won't be very painful if we use those sets of libs.

If you want maybe we can create a little project for a proof of concept and
make an interop between 2 different technologies signing and verifying
messages. If so please let me know :).

Best regards

Dave

Email: david.garcia at tractis.com