Are the Discovery Components Done Enough?

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:30:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM, SitG Admin
<sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com>wrote:

> There's a significant camp of people that believe this information should
>> be included in DNS.  There's also a significant group of people who believe
>> it could be located an XRD file (or, "on the web").
>>

> What if the discovery document says "E-mail this autoresponder address."?
>
> Should all discovery (in OpenID) be able to take place over the HTTP/HTTPS
> protocol, or will it be flexible enough to accept plugins for extending the
> base discovery method?
>
> -Shade

I'm inclined to support the latter -- In some future version of OpenID Auth
(possibly even 2.1), I would love to see a bunch of OpenID Extension specs
that deal only with the topic of Discovery.

In fact, one way to go (and this is admittedly a bit radical) would be to
just define a generic way to do Discovery in the main OpenID Auth 2.1 core
document, and then make _every_ identifier into an extension.  That includes
URL, XRI, email, etc.

Radical, I know, but I like modularity, and it will likely preclude the
debate about why we should or shoud not be able to use email addresses as
OpenID's.  Or why we should/should not use my fingerprint as an OpenID.